Reblog — CL MTBD Controversy
- Ok so i went to listen to the child’s recitation clip that was supposedly sampled in MTBD and I do hear it on CL’s track starting around 1:05.
- I think YG should simply issue and apology and just snip that part out of the song to re-release.
Questions you may be asking:
1. Why is it such a big deal? They weren’t trying to insult anyone.
ANS: (a) This is probably true. They came across something that sounded pretty, and exotic and decided that it fit well with the song. The problem is, the Quran isn’t supposed to be associated with music in any fashion. it isnt supposed to be sung like a song and it isn’t supposed to be accompanied by instruments. So doing so is seen as misuse and disrespectful.
(b) MTBD is a hip hop dance song. It’ll probably be played in clubs and at events that sometimes entail drinking and dirty dancing. Dirty dancing to the “melody” of a sacred text is offending to many people an again seen as a form of disrespect.
2. Why did it take so long to notice:
ANS: (a) Those who have heard Quran before have most likely have never heard it accompanied my music. As an Arabic speaker myself, I can attest to the fact that i just thought it was and Arab/Indian melody being sampled and played in the background. After hearing the actual recitation separately, i was able to distinguish and recognize the words/verse.
(b) Quran is recited in many different tones and styles. Some people read it in a straight reading voice, while other people embellish with elongations and pauses. Unless your are familiar with that particular child’s voice and recitation style you probably didn’t put 2 and 2 together.
- With that being said, PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, and people can redeem themselves through an apology and appropriate actions to “fix” the song.
- To those people bashing CL, please take a seat and drink a cool glass of water.
- The people sending her comments are either “12-year-olds” who have no other way of expressing themselves, people who have received the wrong information and are jumping to conclusions, or anti-fans who are overjoyed at the fact of finding something concrete to hat CL about.
- No one deserves hate comments of any form, let alone DEATH THREATS.
- Who do you think you are? And what religion do you claim to be defending? Because I am aware of NO religion that promotes suicide and killing.
- Let’s promote peace through intelligent discussion and rational negotiation.
Well there’s my opinion, let’s just wait for YG to (hopefully) send in damage control.